He was born on June 9, 1963 in Owensboro, Kentucky (United States)
It measures 1’78.
John Christopher Depp III is an American actor, son of engineer John Christopher Depp and waitress Betty Sue Palmer, a couple who divorced when their little Johnny was still a teenager.
Although he was born in Owensboro, Kentucky, Johnny Depp grew up in Miramar, a city located in the US state of Florida.
He was a lonely boy who spent much of his time playing the guitar, an instrument he played in a group called “The Kids”, a rock band that opened for Iggy Pop .
In 1980 he left his family to move to Los Angeles, a city where he worked as a construction worker while trying to pursue his musical career.
Three years after his arrival in California, he married makeup artist Lori Anne Allison, from whom he ended up divorcing in 1985.
Through Lori, Depp began a close friendship with Nicolas Cage , who was in charge of convincing him to appear at the casting that led him to make his film debut with the horror film directed by Wes Craven , “A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984 ) .
After titles such as “Private Resorts” (1985) by George Bowers, or “Platoon” (1986) by Oliver Stone , Johnny achieved popularity in the United States thanks to his participation in the television series “New Policemen” (1987).
After a few years away from the cinema and working on the small screen, Depp achieved film stardom with his starring role in “Eduardo Scissorhands” (1990) , a fantastic film directed by Tim Burton , with whom he collaborated again in later films.
For his work on this film he was nominated for a Golden Globe for best leading actor.
Other outstanding titles in the 90s within his filmography are “Cry Baby (The Tear)” (1990) by John Waters , “Who Does Gilbert Grape Love?” (1993) by Lasse Hallstrom , “Benny and Joon” (1993) by Jeremiah S. Chechik, “Ed Wood” (1994) by Tim Burton, “Donnie Brasco” (1997) by Mike Newell , “Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas ”(1998) , a film by Terry Gilliam that adapts a novel by Hunter S. Thompson , or “ Sleepy Hollow ”(1999) , a film by Tim Burton based on a text by Washington Irving .
His performances in “Benny and Joon” and “Ed Wood” were once again rewarded with Golden Globe nominations.
With the turn of the century, her star status continued to expand by appearing in “Chocolat” (2000) , a Lasse Hallstrom film co-starring Juliette Binoche , “Blow” (2001) by Ted Demme and, above all, “Pirates of the World. Caribbean. The Curse of the Black Pearl ”(2003) , a pirate film that earned him his first Oscar nomination and his fourth Golden Globe nomination thanks to his characterization as Captain Jack Sparrow.
A year later he was again nominated for the golden statuette for “Discovering Neverland” (2004) , a film in which he played James Barrie , the creator of Peter Pan.
Until 2004, Depp ran his own nightclub on the Sunset Strip called The Viper Room, sadly known for the 1993 death of actor River Phoenix on its doorstep.
Extending his first musical steps he has collaborated with the British group Oasis and plays regularly with his group called “P”.
In 2006 he dressed again as a pirate to star in “Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Dead Man’s Chest” .
In “Sweeney Todd” (2007), he played the lead barber under the direction of Tim Burton.
The same year he played Jack Sparrow again in “Pirates Of The Caribbean: At The End Of The World” (2007) .
In “Public Enemies” (2009) , Michael Mann’s thriller starring Christian Bale and Marion Cotillard , he played the gangster John Dillinger.
In “The Imaginary Of Doctor Parnassus” (2009) , fantasy directed by Terry Gilliam, he plays the same character as Heath Ledger , Jude Law and Colin Farrell .
In “Alice In Wonderland” (2010) , adaptation of the literary classic written by Lewis Carroll , he played the Mad Hatter, a character that he re-embodied in its sequel: “Alice Through the Looking Glass” (2016).
In the thriller co-starring Angelina Jolie “The Tourist” (2010) he plays Frank, an American who decides to travel to Italy after a love disappointment and is involved with a mysterious British woman.
In the adaptation of “The Ron Diaries” (2011) , another book by Hunter S. Thompson, he played the journalist Paul Kemp. This year he returned to the pirate ship with “Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” (2011) .
He met again with Tim Burton in “Dark Shadows” (2012) , a gothic comedy that adapted a television series from the 60s in which Johnny played the vampire Barnabas Collins.
He played the Indian Tonto in “The Lone Ranger” (2013) , a film co-starring Armie Hammer .
Later he played “Mortdecai” (2015) , a literary character created by the writer Kyril Bonfiglioli, and became the gangster James “Whitey” Bulger in “Black Mass” (2015) .
In 2015 he published the album Hollywood Vampires as a guitarist of the homonymous group led by Alice Cooper .
Two years later he starred in another adventure as Captain Jack Sparrow in “Pirates of the Caribbean: La Venganza De Salazar” (2017) , a film with Javier Bardem as the villain.
The same year he participated in the choral film “Murder In The Orient Express” (2017) , a film based on a novel by Agatha Christie .
Johnny played the character of Gellert Grindelwald in “Fantastic Animals: The Crimes Of Grindelwald” (2018) .
In 2019 his second album appeared with the Hollywood Vampires, entitled “Rise” (2019) .
In 2020, he premiered in the cinema “El Fotografo De Minamata” (2020) , a film based on real events with Depp in the role of photographer W. Eugene Smith, who, at the beginning of the 70s of last century, documented the contamination by Mercury from the Japanese city of Minamata.
At present, he is preparing the television series “Puffins”.
Among his various romances are Wynona Rider , Jennifer Gray, Sherilyn Fenn or Kate Moss.
He lived in Paris with the French singer and actress Vanessa Paradis , with whom he had his daughter Lily-Rose Melody in 1999 and his son John Christopher in 2002. The couple separated at the beginning of 2012.
In the year 2015 he married actress Amber Heard , his co-star in “Los Diarios Del Ron”. The couple separated a year after their wedding.
Later he was boyfriend of Lisa Marie Presley. His current partner is the Russian dancer Polina Glen.
In July 2020, Johnny was the subject of a lawsuit in London against the British tabloid newspaper The Sun after he sued for defamation by calling him a “female abuser”. At the hearings, Johnny admitted drug addiction problems in the period of his marriage to Amber Heard, also revealing lurid and violent episodes between the couple, including that Amber had left him feces on his bed after a tense altercation.
Depp lost his mind.
His instagram is: https://www.instagram.com/johnnydepp/
- NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984) by Wes Craven
- PRIVATE RESORTS (1985) by George Bowers
- PLATOON (1986) by Oliver Stone
- EDUARDO MANOSTIJERAS (1990) by Tim Burton
- CRY BABY (THE TEAR) (1990) by John Waters
- FINAL NIGHTMARE: DEATH FROM FREDDY (1991) by Rachel Talalay
- THE DREAM OF ARIZONA (1993) by Emir Kusturica <
- WHO DOES GILBERT GRAPE LOVE? (1993) by Lasse Hallstrom
- BENNY AND JOON (1993) by Jeremiah S. Chechik
- ED WOOD (1994) by Tim Burton
- DON JUAN DE MARCO (1995) by Jeremy Leven
- DEAD MAN (1995) by Jim Jarmusch
- AT THE APPOINTED TIME (1995) by John Badham
- DONNIE BRASCO (1997) by Mike Newell
- THE BRAVE (1997) by Johnny Depp
- FEAR AND LOATH IN LAS VEGAS (1998) by Terry Gilliam
- THE SOURCE (1999) by Chuck Workman
- THE NINTH DOOR (1999) by Roman Polanski
- SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999) by Tim Burton
- THE FACE OF TERROR (1999) by Rand Ravich
- CHOCOLAT (2000 ) by Lasse Hallstrom
- BEFORE NIGHT (2001) by Julian Schnabel
- RUNNING LIVES (2000) by Sally Potter
- BLOW (2001) by Ted Demme
- FROM HELL (2002) by Albert and Allen Hughes
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN. LA CURDICIÓN DE
- LA PERLA NEGRA (2003) by Gore Verbisnki
- EL MEXICANO (2003) by Robert Rodriguez
- LA VENTANA SECRETA (2004) by David Koepp
- THE LIBERTINE (2004) by Laurence Dunmore
- ILS SE MARIERENT ET EURENT BEAUCOUP D’ENFANTS (2004) by Yvan attal
- NEVER DISCOVERING (2004) by Marc Forster
- CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (2005) by Tim Burton
- THE CORPSE BRIDE (2005) with Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson.
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN’S CHEST (2006) by Gore Verbinski
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD’S END (2007) by Gore Verbinski
- SWEENEY TODD (2007) by Tim Burton
- PUBLIC ENEMIES (2009) by Michael Mann
- THE DOCTOR’S IMAGINARY PARNASSUS (2009) by Terry Gilliam
- ALICE IN WONDERLAND (2010) by Tim Burton
- THE TOURIST (2010) by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
- RANK (2011) by Gore Verbinski
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON MYSTERIOUS TIDES (2011) by Rob Marshall
- THE RUM DIARIES (2011) by Bruce Robinson
- INFILTRATED IN CLASS (2012) by Phil Lord and Chris Miller
- GROSS SHADOWS (2012) by Tim Burton
- THE LONE RANGER (2013) by Gore Verbinski
- TRANSCENDENCE (2014) by Wally Pfister
- TUSK (2014) by Kevin Smith
- INTO THE WOODS (2014) by Rob Marshall
- MORTDECAI (2015) by David Koepp
- BLACK MASS (2015) by Scott Cooper
- YOGA HOSERS (2016) by Kevin Smith
- ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS (2016) by James Bobin
- FANTASTIC ANIMALS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM (2017) by David Yates
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: SALAZAR’S REVENGE (2017) by Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg
- MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (2017) by Kenneth Branagh
- CITY OF LIES (2018) by Brad Furman
- RICHARD SAYS GOODBYE (2018) by Wayne Roberts
- SHERLOCK GNOMES (2018 ) -voice- by John Stevenson
- FANTASTIC ANIMALS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD (2018) by David Yates
- WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS (2019) by Ciro Guerra
- THE PHOTOGRAPHER OF MINAMATA (2020) by Andrew Levita